Thursday, May 11, 2006

I guess the best place to start is at the beginning....here's a little tidbit for you to chew over for Mothers' Day....

I've never been a 'Mum" but I can keep 'mum'! However, I did enjoy my own special 'Mother's Day' breakfast one year. I was living on and managing the resort at Cape Richards on Hinchinbrook Island when my staff decided to surprise me! And surprise me they did! Contemplating rising while still lingering under the covers (thank goodness!), I heard the sound of many feet upon the spiral staircase of my little island home. My escape route had been foiled! I had no where to go but to stay put...under the covers! Bearing trays filled with tropical flowers, fresh fruits, yoghurt, orange juice and champagne, my staff, some aptly dressed in 'nappies/diapers' made out of old, no longer used bed linen, joined me on my king-size bed. Full of early morning merriment, we toasted our halcyon life on the island and their mothers elsewhere on the mainland and over distant oceans. Amongst my memorabilia their cherished Mother's Day card remains with its crazy comments and signatures to remind me of those wondrous, incredible, often unexpected and unplanned times! Every moment is forever embedded in my mind and locked in my heart.

Lee

3 comments:

  1. I think I should follow up with a recipe or two...seeing I mentioned 'Mum's Day'....

    French Toast with Brandied Butter: Beat together 4 eggs, 2tbl sugar, 1 cup milk, pinch of salt and 1/4tspn vanilla. Soak thick slice of bread in mixture. Heat some butter over medium heat and cook each slice of bread until slightly brown on each side. Serve with Brandied Butter: Melt 1/2 cup butter over low heat, spooning off any foam. Pour into a separate dish, leaving behind any sediment. Wash pan. Pour butter back into the pan and add 1 cup of sugar. Constantly stir until sugar dissolves. Add juice of 2 lemons, 4tspn grated rind and 3oz brandy. Stir until smooth. Pour over hot French toast! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee,
    I decided to check back to the beginning of your blog and had to laugh because you put a comment on your own first post. I did exactly the same thing!
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always nice to go back to the start and read that first post. How special that your staff wanted to remember their own Mums and adopted you in their absence. Reminds me of orphans Christmases too.

    ReplyDelete