Saturday, August 12, 2006

Excuses! Excuses! And I'm Sticking To Them!

I'm a bit late in posting today because I've not long arrived home from sharing a long, leisurely lunch with four friends of mine. I'm always the 'odd' one out as there is only me and myself and I go everywhere alone, it seems. Not that it bothers me in the least, but I guess it would be nice sometimes to be part of a pair...if I could find someone decent to pair up with, that is! Alas! Such a person is not to be found anywhere around here. He must be well hidden. Never mind...I'll not settle for second best so alone I must remain, happy in my own company. Enough of all that...it's Saturday...so I'd better share a recipe or two with you or you'll starve over the weekend! Food is the furtherest thing from my mind right now, to be honest, as I ate far too much this afternoon...but it was all so delicious! I don't think I need to eat for another couple of days! So, pull up a chair, pour yourself a glass of wine, grab a pen and a piece of paper...here we go!

Grilled Skewered Prawns: Process 2 tablespoons each of Italian parsley, fresh coriander (cilantro) and 2 crushed garlic cloves until finely chopped. Add grated rind of 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (chili for those who've lost the extra 'l' over the years!) and season to taste. Process quickly to combine. Add 1/3 cup of lemon juice and 1/3 cup virgin olive oil. Process until well combined. Peel 20 green prawns leaving heads and tails intact. Pour the mixture over the prawns, cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Thread prawns onto skewers, which have been soaked in cold water. Grill or char-grill for around 2 minutes each side or until just cooked. Don't overcook!

Pork & Prosciutto: Thinly slice a couple of potatoes, 1 onion and 1 green apple. (Into thin rounds). Place a layer of potato in the base of 4 well-buttered, 1 cup capacity ramekin dishes. Brush potato with melted butter and layer with onion, apple and prosciutoo, brushing with butter betwen each layer and pressing down firmly. Repeat layering once more and finish with a layer of potato. Brush with butter and season to taste. If you like you can add a little crushed garlic in between the layers. Place on an oven tray and bake at 200C for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden. Stand in the ramekins (the potatoes, not you!) for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat a little olive oil in non-stick frying pan and cook 4-8 pork cutlets for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden, then transfer to an oven tray and cook at 200C for 5-6 minutes. Rest the pork in a warm place for 5 minutes. De-glaze the pan with 1/3 cup apple juice and 2/3 cup chicken stock. Boil until reduced and slightly thickened. Place cutlets on a bed of wilted spinach and pour over some of the sauce. Using a large spoon, lift the potato timbales out of the ramekins and place beside the cutlet/s.

Those should see you through until Monday! Have a great weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment