Friday, November 17, 2006


Can't Help Myself!

While on the subject of 'chickens', I thought I'd give you a couple of recipes for non-toxic chickens, just in case I've whetted your taste buds. Sneak into your neighbour's yard tonight and swipe a couple of his chickens, that way you'll be sure not to get poisoned. Don't tell your neighbour I was the one who advised you to do this or he might sue me on Monday!

Roast Spatchcock with Lemon & Herbs: Make a lemon and herb paste: Combine 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves, 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves, 1/2 cup basil leaves, 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped sage, 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind and 2 tablespoons extra virgin oil in a food processor. Process until a paste forms. Season to taste with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Using hands, loosen skin on four spatchcocks by pushing your fingers between skin and breast meat, then rub 1 tablespoon of paste over meat. Pull skin back over meat. Season to taste. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large flameproof casserole and brown spatchcocks, in batches, until golden all over, then remove from pan. Rub spatchcocks with remaining paste and set aside. Heat some more oil in pan, add some eggplant chopped, 4 small zucchini, chopped, 4 egg tomatoes, coarsely chopped, 1 red capsicum/pepper, chopped, 2 Spanish onions, chopped and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup burghul (cracked wheat), then add spatchcocks, cover with tight-fitting lid and pot roast at 220C for 20 minutes. Remove lid, then roast a further 10 minutes or until spatchcocks are cooked. Serve on a bed of the vegetable mixture.

Smoked Chicken in Filo: Chop 1 bunch chives and mix with 300ml sour cream. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, a little fresh ground black pepper and the juice of half a lemon. Remove meat from 1 smoked chicken and place bones in a saucepan with 400ml a rich chicken stock, 1/2 cup white wine and a dash of port. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer to reduce to about 400ml. Remove one sheet of the filo pastry. Brush liberally with melted butter or with olive oil. Place oiled side down on a second sheet of pastry. Take about 1/6th of the smoked chicken meat and place it at one end of the pastry. Peel 2 avocados and slice thinly. Place 1/6th avocado on top of the chicken on the pastry. Add a heaped tablespoon of the sour cream mixture. Form into a log shape by folding both edges of the pastry into the centre and rolling up. Brush the roll with more melted butter or oil and place on a baking tray. Repeat five more times with the remaining mixtures. Bake the rolls in a preheated 200C oven until the pastry is browned, about 15-20 minutes. To serve: pour a little of the hot, reduced sauce on each of six plates and top with a filo roll.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lee,

    Just catching up after a couple of days of coughing my lungs up from some sort of bot (and no, I don't smoke - just thought I'd get in first, lol).

    I think Tim Mulherin needs a meal served to him consisting of one of those chickens! Typical pollie, though - trying to cover his butt.

    Today I'm even more sceptical than usual of the Government and its goings on and in my mood of today, it wouldn't be too difficult to consign the lot of them to perdition!

    Aaah, I'd better go before I say something I may regret. Sorry to burden you with my negativity, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee, re Marilyn, yes I have seen all of Milton Greene's photos of her, I share my love of her with Warren and I guess we both have a hundred or more pics of her on file... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha..Robyn...you're allowed to air your feelings...and you're not at all burdening me with any negativity. We all have our 'moments'...and I can tell you, I have more than my fair share! ;)

    Hope the cough leaves you soon...drink more red wine! ;)

    I've got a very large glossy picture of MM on one of my doors in my back area here, Peter. It's one of her studio portraits. Her life was so sad and in my humble opinion, she was born too soon. She wouldn't be put through that 'mill' today and would have been allowed more expression of her true self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually don't buy chickens from the supermarket very often...I much prefer to buy them fresh from a friend's neice who raises them. Lord knows what they put in the ones you buy at the stores!!! It's amazing what the government can hide from the public concerning the foods we eat! Thanks so much for sharing those two recipes, I've copied them, they sound SO delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing quite like 'home-grown' chickens! A cousin of mine used to raise ducks and often we would go up to his property for a 'duck-kill' weekend and have a feast on the Saturday night. I love duck, too. Glad you liked the recipes, Pea. :)

    ReplyDelete