Sunday, August 26, 2012

PUPPY LOVE - THE ONE THAT BROKE FREE FROM THE LEASH….

















In 1960, Paul Anka sang about it when he became smitten with Annette Funicello.

Shamelessly, three years earlier he had already declared his undying love for “Diana”! Back in 1957, he proclaimed emphatically; “You Are My Destiny”! He pleaded to “Diana”; “Put Your Head on My Shoulder” while confessing his “Crazy Love” for her, but she declined. Her refusal upset Paul. He wept as he admitted he was a “Lonely Boy”.

Soon after Paul’s “Diana” infatuation palled, it was then that his affection for Annette Funicello began. He fell under Annette’s spell when he spotted her gallivanting at the ocean’s edge with Frankie Avalon at a Beach Party. Avalon, by the way, thought her his “Venus”.

Not caring who heard, Frankie professed openly – “I Will Wait for You”; but he didn’t stand a chance once Paul slid down the dunes wearing his "budgie smugglers"!

Overcome with his desire for Annette, Paul warbled “Puppy Love” whenever in her presence (and when not); she was a goner from that moment on! The passion disintegrated rapidly, however, when Paul blurted out to the world: “You’re Having My Baby!” Annette wanted nothing more to do with him. Defeated, Paul said; ‘That’s it, then! From now on I’ll do it “My Way”!’

Marcie Blane warned all the girls within earshot that she was “Bobby’s Girl”. She told Connie Francis to back off when she heard Connie scream at Bobby; “That ‘Lipstick on Your Collar’ is mine!”

Down the road and around the corner, Little Peggy March didn’t discriminate, nor did she care who heard when she belted out at the top of her lungs; “I Will Follow Him!” as she marched after him. We never discovered who “him” was. Did she ever catch up with him; or is he still dodging her; and she, still marching behind?

We listened intently to all the love songs; we sang, danced and, sometimes, wept along to them. In our dreams we wished we had someone who would sing words of everlasting devotion to us; with lyrics that would melt our tender teenage hearts, and fulfill our teenage fantasies. How we longed to experience that special feeling so difficult to describe unless possessed of poetic or songwriting abilities like those of Paul Anka, Neil Sedaka, Dion and others of their ilk; the almost indescribable emotion when one’s heart and trembling tummy felt like they were bouncing up and down on a trampoline. The lows that came with the massive highs we learned to deal with by shedding a torrent of tears while promising to no one in particular; “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again!”

I had a big dose of the “woofs” aka “puppy love” the moment I locked eyes with a handsome young drummer in a Gympie band. I was a starry-eyed 14-year old high school student. My heart was his prisoner for a few years. We only ever locked eyes! Ours was love at arms’ length! Sadly he has now passed away, but, to this day he still holds a place in my heart. That’s not a bad thing; it’s kind of romantic in a way. Puppy love is important to one’s emotional growth, in my opinion.

Veal with Artichoke Hearts: Combine 1/4c plain flour, salt and pepper. Pound to ¼-inch thickness, 250g veal cutlets; coat cutlets in the flour. Melt 1/4c butter in skillet; add cutlets; brown; add 1 can, drained, quartered artichoke hearts, 1tbs lemon juice and 1/2c dry white wine. Cook 2-3mins.

Marsala Tenderloins: With tender loving care, pound to ¼-inch thickness 450-500g pork tenderloin (fillet); coat in flour mixture as for veal. Heat 3tbs olive oil in large pan over med-high heat; cook pork 2-3mins; brown all sides; remove to platter; set aside. Add 250g sliced mushrooms and 2 thinly-sliced onions to pan; sauté 6-8mins; stir in 1/2c Marsala; (add a little cream, too, if you like); cook a couple of minutes; return pork; season; cook 3-4mins.

Cupid’s Ice Cream Cupcakes: Grab two of those rich chocolate cupcakes you made; place on individual plates; top with a scoop of chocolate ice cream. Drizzle with caramel sauce; sprinkle each with chopped pecans and toasted shredded coconut; decorate with sliced strawberries.

Sweetheart Fudge Pie: Beat 1/2c butter and 3/4c firmly-packed brown sugar at med-speed until light and fluffy; add 3 large eggs, one at a time; beat after each addition. Stir in 375g melted semi-sweet chocolate, 2tsp instant coffee granules and 1tsp vanilla; stir in 1/2c plain flour and 1c chopped walnuts/pecans; pour into unbaked pastry shell. Bake in 190C oven, 25mins; cool completely; chill.

Hot Caribbean Kiss: Heat 75ml good quality golden rum with 1tbs raisins, 1tsp marmalade and 1tsp brown sugar until sugar and marmalade dissolve. Pour into a wine glass; decorate with strips of lemon and orange zest.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Lee,

    I loved how you put the songs together into a story. Too bad those wonderful old songs aren't sung like they were. Today as I went shopping with my daughter, I listen to her music and was appalled at how must seem to deal with death.

    You want to die, don't you? Then there was, Don't fall in love, if you want to die in peace. And most remembered, I want to die.

    Yuck. Where are the I want to live songs?

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Janice...the lyrics of some of today's "music" leaves so much to be desired. It's little wonder that so many of today's youth are so troubled...and cause trouble.

    I'm glad I was around before the "day the music died"....we had it good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lee ~~ I love the way you made a story out of Paul Anka's songs. And I am glad I was around to hear all the wonderful songs we had to listen to, before the music died.No wonder there are so many youth suicides listening to that music.
    Thanks for your comments. I am fine and Fluff will always take an extra cuddle
    She is a cutie and I will miss her again when John picks her upp. He got home today from his ride to Alice Springs and had a sleep and tonight went to Benalla to play darts.
    Take care my friend.
    Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...I like tender loins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I'd play to your likes, Cosmo.

    Yes, Merle...hopefully the mood of today "lyricists" (I use that word very loosely) changes soon. Hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cleverly you tie the songs together. :) Peggy can March after "him" but I will follow the Sweetheart Fudge Pie. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty tempted by the pie, too, Max! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How well I remember puppy love. There is nothing sweeter. Love the way you constructed your story. And may I just say that those food photos have me sitting here salivating. Lord, it looks divine!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Peter and Serena.

    Yes, that fluttering of the heart and stomach...how sweet it was! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Puppy love followed by veal with artichoke hearts really can't be beat.
    I'm sorry, I'm still groaning but I admire your tenacity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Groan away, Cliffie....all your groaning ain't gonna stop me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:07 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete