Monday, August 20, 2012

TURN…TURN…TURN….TO EVERYTHING THERE IS A SEASON….























To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace... I swear it’s not too late



Along with “the sun also rises” and “there is nothing new under the sun” and many other astute aphorisms, The Book of Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament attested - to everything there is a season; and a time for every purpose under the heaven.

Learned scholars date Ecclesaistes back to the 3rd Century BC; while some others of similar learning support a 4th Century dating. What’s in a century or two; either which way the profound philosophies expounded therein remain wise and pertinent to this day. I wonder if there is anyone around nowadays whose thoughts will still be respectfully quoted in thousands of centuries hence!

I’m not sure if I agree with all that was written in the above snippet. For instance, is there really a “time to kill”? In the broad sense, I guess there is...particularly if you’re not a vegetarian. But then, it could be said that vegetarians aren’t exempt…they do kill plants. And as for a “time to reap what is planted” – that, too, can have ramifications if what was planted in the first instance was illegal, if you get my drift!

It’s sad; so very distressing; and so very wrong that there has to be “a time of war”. I wish there was never again a time for the purpose of war; that “a time of peace” lasted forever.

I’ve always been a dreamer.

In 1959, noted folk singer/songwriter, Pete Seeger pondered a while upon Ecclesiastes’ “there is a season”. Seeger adapted it entirely except for the last line; and then set it to music. Within a couple of years it was spinning on our turntables as “Turn! Turn! Turn!” Pete Seeger released his version in 1962 as did the folk group, “The Limelighters. Three years later in 1965, “The Byrds” turned the song into a massive, enduring hit. Many others, including Judy Collins jumped onto our turntables and into the airwaves with their cover versions.

I feel very fortunate to have lived in such an era filled with a multiple of wonderful groups like “The Byrds”; “Crosby, Stills & Nash”; “The Flying Burritos”, to name but three out of so many.

And before those groups hit the scene, I feel so lucky to have spent many evenings sitting around with friends, sipping on coffee; searching for the meaning of life, while listening to the likes of Seeger, Dylan, Joan Baez, Peter, Paul and Mary, Mahalia Jackson, Nina Simone, Miriam Makeba, Odetta, The New Christy Minstrels, Josh White et al...the list goes on forever. And that was just in the early Sixties…before the revolution hit! Before bands like “The Byrds” came along – and then a whole new fleet of music-makers arrived on our doorsteps, taking us along for the ride. And what a ride it was!

I’ve not even crossed the Atlantic Ocean from the US to the UK, yet; I’ll take that cruise later down the track.

In the meantime, Creedence Clearwater was just being revived; and Jimmy Buffet hadn’t yet found the perfect recipe for Margaritas! Willie was still on the road...again; and John Denver was leaving on a jet plane; that was long before he decided to take the country roads back home, instead; after all, he was a country boy at heart; and he thanked God that he was.

We were all shook up when Elvis was shipped off to Germany. Upon his return we couldn’t help falling in love with him all over again. We were glad the US Army obeyed our call to have Elvis returned to sender!

Neil Diamond declared that he was a believer and the Monkees believed him; and soon, the rest of us fell under his spell, too and toasted him with some Crackling Rosie. Neil didn’t mind being a solitary man and when sweet Caroline comforted him, he turned to her and said: “Girl, You’ll be a woman soon.”

To be continued…..I’m on a roll and like a rolling stone, I shall gather no moss!


12 comments:

  1. Hi Lee,

    I didn't realize John Denver sang Leaving on a Jet Plane. I'm more familiar with Country Road, Mountain High, and Country Boy.

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denver wrote "Leaving on a Jet Plane", Janice.

    I saw him live in concert about 18 months before he was tragically killed. He was absolutely wonderful.

    I got to meet him and shake his hand, too. His voice was so pure and so strong live. It was a great concert....and his death a loss to music. He was a poet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lee ~~ Great post and like you I remember most or the singers and songs mentioned. We were lucky to have 'seen' and heard Elvis, the Beatles and all those who came after. Neil Diamond is still going strong. He was great in concert. Glad you are on a roll, keep rolling my friend..
    Fluff and I are enjoying our time together and I am fine thanks. Take care, Love Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Merle...yes...I saw Neil Diamond in concert, too; and loved it. I still think he's great. Like so many others, I wore out my "Hot August Night" album...great times and memories to that album!

    Glad to hear you're doing well. You continue taking good care of yourself. Hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Lee, you're on a roll. I must say I almost groaned a couple of times but this was pure entertainment.
    I too feel fortunate to live in this era but not for the music but rather because it was also the age of forced air heating and air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to have made you groan a few times, Cliff...unless, of course, it was in pleasure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A bit of everything happening here!

    Thank you for the poetic comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your welcome, Cosmo...I always hope that you don't mind when I add my little bit...but you endeavours always inspire me to add my own... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed reading this post. Thanks. :)

    Memories evoked. The music never dies. I hope you DO continue posting in this vein a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. G'day Max...nice to meet you. Thanks for your thoughts.

    Don't be a stranger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a time to kill, unfortunately, and it is extremely sad. (Our dog was put down recently because his future life would have been unbearable for him and us.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, Goatman...thank you for popping into my blog.

    Sadly, you are correct. I also know the heartache from having to put a beloved pet down. Although we know it's to stop their suffering...it is heartbreaking.

    Don't be a stranger. I look forward to "seeing" you again. :)

    ReplyDelete