Tuesday, February 10, 2015

LOVE ME TENDER




Clearly smitten, he looked deeply into her eyes and said; “I don’t want to be a part-time lover. I realised as time goes by it had to be you. It’s the best thing that ever happened.  You made me love you.  You are so beautiful. I’m crazy for you. I can’t help falling in love with you. The first time ever I saw your face, I left my heart in San Francisco.”  He barely took time to take a breath.

Listening to his heartfelt words pouring freely from him, Rose thought to herself, “this guy's in love with you” even though a couple of week previously she’d thought she heard him tell his best mate to “tell Laura I love her; perhaps he’s torn between two lovers”; or perhaps she’d misheard; misunderstood what he'd said amongst the noisy crowd at the party.

For months, time after time, she’d waited; she dreamed; wanting to hear him say “Be my love Rose; Rose, Rose I love you.”   

And now, after all those sleepless nights hoping, here he was before her declaring his everlasting love. It can’t be puppy love because he’s not a teenager in love, she told herself; the look of love was definitely on his face. For so long Rose had asked herself "when will I be loved?" Maybe it’s time to stop listening to all those silly love songs; perhaps Chuck E’s in love with me, perhaps he really is!  Rose had never in her mind pictured lawyers in love - and Chuck E was a lawyer!

Love is a battlefield of that she had no doubt, but to love somebody - I want to know what love is – what it’s like to be lost in love -  because I’ve heard love is a many-splendoured thing.  Oh, why, why do fools fall in love? Rose’s mind was in a quandary.

Reaching for Rose’s hand and tenderly holding it in his own, Chuck E said: “I honestly love you. Baby I need your loving. I’ll never fall in love again I love you more and more every day. I know you can't hurry love, but when a man loves a woman like I do you, I just fall in love again.  I’ll never love this way again.  I guess I’ve just got a bad case of lovin’ you. If the truth be known I was made for lovin’ you. I’d be lost without your love.  You don’t have to say you love me right now, but you’ll never find another love like mine. I’ll keep on loving you; mine is an endless love. You’re the one that I want. Be my love.”

Rose’s face turned a colour befitting her name. She lowered her head; and then raised it, a smile upon her lips.

“If I could paint a portrait of my love it would be dedicated to the one I love…you.” She said looking directly in his eyes.  “Chuck E, I love the way you love me.  You are the sunshine of my life. I’ll be there for you.  I’m crazy for you.  It’s more than a feeling. You’re in my heart. Love will keep us together – never tear us apart. I feel so happy having someone to love.  Baby, it’s you.  I got you, babe! Love to love you, baby…I love your way. Your love has lifted me higher and higher.  There ain’t no mountain high enough! I was made for loving you.”

Chuck E’s heart soared. “Too often I used to say I want to know what love is – till there was you; you, Rose, changed everything. Nothing's gonna change my love for you. I will always love you. I don’t wanna live without your love. What we have is a groovy kind of love. here, there and  everywhere, I’ll be there.  I can’t fight this feeling.  You’ve got a friend…we’re lovers and friends.  I don’t wanna live without your love.  I think it’s time we found ourselves a love shack of our own. I don't want to miss a thing.”

Her heart pounding, Rose took him into her arms; If I can’t have you in my life - bye bye love.  I wanna hold your hand up where we belong.  I’m all shook up.  How sweet it is! How I feel right now as the stardust falls around us will be unforgettable.  I think I’m addicted to love. Your kiss is on my list, I cross my heart. Have I told you lately that I love you?”   

Everybody Loves Somebody -  Can You Feel the Love Tonight?


Please don't cringe...it's all just a bit of harmless fun.  There's nothing wrong with sharing and celebrating love, particularly the way the world is today.  I believe love should be shared even more...love should engulf the world.


It’s not spring, but another date is imminent when many a young man’s fancy turns to love; that is, after his hopeful sweetheart gives him unsubtle nudges in the ribs and drops a few blatant hints! If you poor fellows don’t pick up on the hints and nudges before Saturday, 14th February aka St. Valentine’s Day, you’ll find yourselves in dire straits; and I don’t mean the British rock band headed by Mark Knopfler!  Take notice, you blokes!  I’m trying to save your skin. Do I have to spell it out even more for you?  I’m giving you a heads up here; a leg up even, in case you need it. It’s time to prove you can multi-task. If you get it wrong don’t blame me. All fingers will be pointed at you, not me! 

One lad, namely Tristan, whom I’ve known since he was 16; a lad I’ve witnessed grow into a fine, mature young man over the past nigh on 13 years certainly won’t forget what day Saturday is. He’d better not! He has a major separate celebration happening on the 14th.  Not only will it be Valentine’s Day…but it’s going to be his wedding day, too. So you understand what I mean!  If he does forget the most important event, the latter, he won’t only be in dire straits; he’ll also be in muddy waters! 

The reality is - Tristan should have only a couple of things on his mind this Saturday – his wedding and his future wife. I do hope he’s not thrown (only the bouquet gets thrown; and I tell you here and now I won’t be catching the bouquet or Tristan). There’s no reason for concern - everything is under control. All Tristan and his lovely bride-to-be Palas have to worry about is nothing at all!  The day and night are theirs to celebrate and savour.  Happy memories made this Saturday, Valentine’s Day 2015 will remain with them for the rest of their lives.

I wish the young couple well in their marriage, and in their future endeavours; may they always be surrounded by sunshine, warm loving hearts and happiness. 

The timid young romantics of the late 60s/mid-70s were easily recognised amongst diners in restaurants on Valentine’s Day. It was clear to all, or to me, at least, who were on a first date, and those who were still in the early tentative, heady stages of getting to know each other by the wine they sipped daintily upon. The sparkles, not only in their eyes, but those in the bottle of bubbly before them were a give-away, too. 

Ben Ean Moselle was a favourite with optimistic young lovers, as was Kaiser Stuhl Cold Duck (did people really drink that?), Porphyr Pearl, Sparkling Starwine, Hardys Eden Moselle; and, of course, Barossa Pearl.  Who could forget Barossa Pearl?  Pearl’s release date was to be the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, but being slow off the blocks it wasn’t decanted from the barrels in time. With its screw-top Pearl was ahead of its time in the sealing department. Barossa Pearl was finally released on Guy Fawke’s Day, 5th November, 1956 - it went off with a bang. Like a guest who never knows when to leave Pearl stuck around until the 1970s. 

And now I’ve read that Barossa Pearl is being revived!  I wonder if same will happen to me after I pop my cork. 

This Valentine’s Day I’ll be celebrating the nuptials of Tristan and Palas. I’m thrilled to be doing so; to be able to be part of their special day.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Now that I’ve reminded everyone - don’t forget what you have to do! Failing all else, a heartfelt “I love you” will do! 

My double best wishes to Tristan and Palas!

Oysters Valentine: Finely grate zest of half a lime; add 1tbs grated palm sugar and ½ bird’s eye chilli, thinly sliced; mash together; add juice of 2 limes; stir until sugar dissolves; add 1tsp fish sauce and 1-inch fresh ginger, finely-julienned; cool. Sprinkle over natural oysters in half shell; lightly sprinkle with garam masala, chopped coriander and chopped chives.

Oysters with Avocado-Tomato Salsa: Cut 1 avocado into small cubes; gently toss in juice of 1 lime; add 8 finely-chopped cherry tomatoes, 3tbs chopped coriander/parsley, 1/4c finely-chopped red onion, pinch sugar, hot pepper sauce and salt to taste. Serve with half shell barbecued oysters or natural.

Warm Duck-Pomegranate-Beetroot Salad: Cook 4 beetroot 20mins or until tender; peel and quarter when cool; set aside. Halve 1 pomegranate; press to extract juice and loosen seeds; place juice in bowl; remove seeds; add to juice. Warm 2tbs redcurrant jelly; then whisk with 1/4c x-virgin olive oil, 1tbs sherry vinegar, 1tsp Dijon mustard and 2tbs pomegranate juice; season. Preheat oven 180C. Score skin on 2 duck breasts. Mix together 1tbs brown sugar and 1tsp cinnamon; rub into duck skin. Heat pan on med-heat; cook duck, skin down, 6-7mins until crisp and fat rendered; turn; cook 1min. Bake duck in oven 5mins, med-rare, or until done to taste; rest. Slice on the diagonal. Divide radicchio, rocket, blanched green beans and cubed feta between plates; top with dressing, sliced duck and toasted, chopped walnuts.

Valentine’s Day Love Cake: You will need six 10cm (4in) heart-shaped cake tins. The number of cakes this makes will depend on the depth of your tins. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Brush the insides of the tins with the melted butter and dust with 1 tbsp of the plain flour, tapping out any excess. Melt 200g/7oz chopped chocolate either in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, or in a microwave on a low setting. Stir until smooth; set aside to cool slightly. Cream 150g/5-1/2oz unsalted butter and 150g caster sugar until pale, light and fluffy. Add 4 medium egg yolks; stir until combined. Add the cooled melted chocolate; stir again. Mix 2tbsp of plain flour with 75g ground almonds, freeze-dried raspberries (if using) and pinch of salt. Add to the chocolate mixture; mix thoroughly. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they reach stiff peaks. Stir one quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to loosen and then, using a large metal spoon, fold in the remainder. Line the bases of the cake tins with baking-parchment and divide the mixture between them. Arrange on a baking-sheet and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20mins, until risen and firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tins for 5mins, then carefully run a small palette knife around the edges and turn the cakes on to a cooling-rack; leave until cold. To make the ganache: melt together 200g dark 70% chocolate, 75g unsalted butter and 2tbs double cream either in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water or in a microwave on a low setting. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool and thicken slightly. Using a palette knife, spread the ganache over the top of each cake and leave to set before decorating with sugar-paste roses or fresh berries. Stored in an airtight box or cake tin, these will keep for about four days.

Love Potion No. 14: Shake together; 1-1/2 shots Vodka, 1 shot Grand Marnier, 2 shots cranberry juice and ½ shot fresh lime juice; add ice; serve. 


37 comments:

  1. Love it a most excellent thing, but I can do without the push to insist that it be celebrated in a commercial way.
    Ben Ean brought back some memories. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are so very clever with all those songs woven into a story! Nice to see a little Jimmy Barnes in the mix; higher and higher; ain't no mountain high enough.
    I remember all those fancy wines, the names and pretty bottles at least, I never drank any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi EC...it doesn't concern me that Valentine's Day is celebrated so. I think it's good to see businesses make money...after all, why be in business if not to make profit. It's all a bit of harmless fun.

    I agree with the shudder re Ben Ean...I couldn't drink it....far too sweet for me. I'm more of a red wine drinker...and when I do drink white it has to be a dry white.

    Thanks for coming by. Cuddles to your furry mates from my two furry rascals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, River. I hope you enjoy me little bit of nonsense...it was fun to create.

    I drank wine back then, but not any of that lot if I could help it, anyway! lol

    Thanks for coming by...and likewise comments to EC re the cuddles to Angel from my two rascals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must have taken you ages to research! Or are you just a romantic type?
    I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Half way through the saga of Rose and Chuck E all those old song lyric brought back a flood gate of memories. LOL One would start and then the next line opened another flood gate. Congrats to the young couple and it was totally smart to pick that date as the future they can celebrate a two fur. Have a wonderful time. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful "love" post. Loved it (no pun intended!) And, I had forgotten completely about Cold Duck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was very clever, Lee.

    Tristan was very smart to get married on Valentine's day. He will never forget it and he only has to come up with one gift for two celebrations.

    My husband loves oysters but I can't imagine eating one. He orders them at restaurants but if he has fish breath, there isn't anything that is going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there, AJ....it really didn't take me too long...I whacked it all together yesterday morning...I was on a roll, I think. I had to contain myself...reel myself in from not turning it into another "Gone with the Wind"! Once I got started it was hard to stop! lol

    I guess I do think romance is kind of good. I enjoy a good romance movie; I enjoy a rom-com. The only romance I have in my life these days is between my two furry rascals, my imagination and me! :)

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lady Di...the list of appropriate songs is endless, isn't it. I might have to do a couple of sequels!!!

    Yes, I'm looking forward to the wedding on Saturday...it's only a small wedding (the best way, I think) with only immediate family and a few friends...between 26 to 30 guests, I gather....of which I'm one. It should be nice.

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to my blog, Peace Thyme Garden. I think Cold Duck is best forgotten! lol

    Thanks for coming by...don't be a stranger, do come again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Arleen...I love oysters. I always have ever since I was a little girl and we'd collect them straight off the rocks. Yum! Yum!

    I'm glad you enjoyed my bit of fun for Valentine's Day. Thanks for dropping in....and beware of stairs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you, ALL the way! LOVE is the answer....it truly is!
    Very clever use of all those wonderful songs, my dear....Well Done!!!!
    Happy Valentines Day to you and your dear Furry's.....!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Valentine's Day to you too - you have some nice things there. And your love story - oh la la!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So tell me about your story you are writing!!! I think I have come in the middle of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there Naomi...so nice to see you. I hope all is well with you. Thanks for your good wishes. I'm glad you enjoyed my bit of fun with song titles. Take good care and thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ummmm....I not quite sure how to respond to your comment, Sandie! lol Calm yourself down, girl! lol

    A Happy Valentine's Day to you, too and thanks for dropping in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love what you did with the love songs. Kudos! Furry little four-legged rascals make fine Valentines. Happy Valentine's Day to you and the rascals.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there Serena...I'm glad you enjoyed my madness. My two furry Valentines and me will have a nice time...I'll eat all the chocolates! :)

    Thanks for coming by; and my best wishes back to you and your little four-legged mate, too...nice to see you as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Been years since I had oysters on the half shell. I can remember many a time in San Francisco bar hopping and having them; those were the days for sure. Your recipes sound so delicious I am just now getting my taste buds back and the bubbly brands I am all unfamiliar with, here my favorite is Moet Chandon, had Don Perignon but was very expensive. I have a bit of dark chocolate in the fridge will have to try and remember to take a bite on Valentines Day, happy day to you

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is very difficult to find oysters on the half shell anymore. Unless it is a specialty seafood restaurant, others don't have them and even some specialty restaurants don't either. At our wedding dinner the evening of our marriage, Ron and went to an oyster bar and there was a small pearl in Ron's oyster. I treasure that find to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that's quite the varied collection of song quotes! Glad you topped it off with Van Morrison!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Linda....not all the wines I've mentioned above were sparkly...just the Cold Duck (Yuck), Star Wine and Barossa Pearl...the rest were still.

    We do make some very good Champagne-style wines here in Aus; and when drinking champagne I stick with our Aussie ones. One of the best is Croser. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/brian-croser-finds-a-perfect-partner-in-esteemed-champange-house-bollinger/story-e6frewt9-1226049885576

    Moet used to be a big favourite at the resort on Hinchinbrook Island when I was managing it. Around that time the mini-bottles of Moet came on the market and I think my staff, in particular, drank enough of it to have shares in the company! lol

    I think you and Joe need a bit of cheery up after the rough time you've been having...so oysters, Moet and dark chocolate are the order for you both on Valentine's Day...enjoy! That's an order! :)

    Thanks for coming by...and cuddles to Beau. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey there Annie...oysters on the half shell are still readily available here, thank goodness. Our local mobile seafood vendor who sells from his refrigerated van and who pays a visit up here to our village on the mountain every Wednesday and Thursday always have stocks of them on board, too.

    How wonderful about Ron finding the pearl! It would be highly cherished by me, too, if I were in your position. That's just great; and such a very rare occurrence!

    Thanks for coming by...and you two have yourself a lovely Valentine's Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Dexter...I love Van Morrison, too...the cranky old bugger! lol There's something quite wonderful about his music.

    It's good to see you...thanks for popping in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The early section of this post - where you blended in so many snippets of love songs was really clever, funny and somewhat disconcerting. We are surrounded by media noise and through songs notions of love that do not seem to reflect real life experience. At times, it seems as if we are expected to live up to some kind of intense and dramatic ideal.
    I hope you have a great time at the wedding and don't end up under a table swigging champagne from a bottle while slurring the words to "All You Need is Love!" (Hic!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll bet Love Potion #14 is good!!! Happy Valentine's Day, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What? Your blog doesn't allow 'anonymous' posts on Valentine's day??

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't see anything wrong with silly love songs, Yorky. That they don't reflect on real life experiences is probably our own faults. The writers, the poets have the words, the emotions, perhaps we the people should learn how to unashamedly put them into practice.

    The wedding was very relaxed and enjoyable. And I had a lovely time...no dancing on tables, swinging on the chandeliers and no ending up under any tables swigging champers...but a fun, happy time was had by all. Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Bah! Humbug back to you, Adullamite!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi there Lynn...And a Happy Valentine's Day back to you. That cocktail does sound pretty nice, I agree! Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lee I love the clever way in which you wrote this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. You crack me up! How many songs did you reference?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi OE...I'm glad you liked my bit of fun. I hope you and your lady had a wonderful weekend. Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey RK! 90 song titles were used in that piece but none were harmed!!!

    Thanks for dropping in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very well done. Pat Benatar and the rest should be impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  36. They might put it into a song, Jerry! :)

    Thanks for coming by...I hope all is well with you...take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete